Brother Number Three (of Three)
Mike is 6 years older than me. He was the baby until I came along. So is it any wonder he put me in the dryer? Smothered me with couch pillows, with the reasoning that he was testing how claustrophobic I was? Played "taste-test"... yummmm, honey, then sugar, Cool Whip, Tabasco sauce, pickle juice, coffee grounds... you get the picture. Mike teased me to no end. I probably cried every day. Sometimes big brother Bill would bring justice upon him for me.
One day, I came home from school bloody and sniveling. Mike said,
"What happened?"
"I was giving Lynn Hughes a ride on my bike and we fell."
Except Lynn Hughes was 2 feet taller than I was, so, 1. Stupid Me, and, 2. I scraped every bit of me on the road, while Lynn simply put both feet on the ground and stood up.
Mike went over to the Hughes' house to beat up her older brother. Yep. He did care!
When I got older, and quit crying every time I got teased, we got pretty tight.
Last year, he got sick of Northeast winters. He wanted a better life for his family, so he packed up annd moved to South Carolina. Our loss.

Mike is the kind of guy that knows a little bit about everything. The most astounding thing about Mike, however, is his great personal strength. I can only say that he beat the odds.
We miss you. Hope you swing up north soon.
One day, I came home from school bloody and sniveling. Mike said,
"What happened?"
"I was giving Lynn Hughes a ride on my bike and we fell."
Except Lynn Hughes was 2 feet taller than I was, so, 1. Stupid Me, and, 2. I scraped every bit of me on the road, while Lynn simply put both feet on the ground and stood up.
Mike went over to the Hughes' house to beat up her older brother. Yep. He did care!
When I got older, and quit crying every time I got teased, we got pretty tight.
Last year, he got sick of Northeast winters. He wanted a better life for his family, so he packed up annd moved to South Carolina. Our loss.

Mike is the kind of guy that knows a little bit about everything. The most astounding thing about Mike, however, is his great personal strength. I can only say that he beat the odds.
We miss you. Hope you swing up north soon.

7 Comments:
That was lovely, Colleen.
I love these posts about your brothers. In reading about them, we learn more about you, too.
(I had a feeling you might have a new post up today, since the baby was holding you captive at the computer! :o)
HUGS to you, my friend.
So sweet!
That was very, very sweet.
That was sweet. I can't imagine having 3 brothers, I bet that was an adventure. Plus you get to live it again with your boys.
*amanda ducks as colleen wings coffee cup at head*
Now, didn't he also yell at Lynn Hughes? I thought her parents called yours and complained. I don't think she'll be bothering you anymore.
One question. Why would Lynn Hughes brother need to be beat up for an innocent accident?
WONDERFUL picture!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home