Tuesday, August 02, 2005

And then, one day you find/ Ten years have got behind you

Amanda's post got me to thinking about how life can become so radically different within a few years, whether we steer ourselves onto another path, or whether circumstances carry us there.

In the summer of 1995, I lived in a small bedroom in a rented house in an upscale suburban neighborhood. It stood just three blocks from the hospital where I worked as an operating room nurse.

I had just broken up with a guy my parents LOVED. He was a terrific guy, but something was missing. Difficult thing to do. It was a pretty lonely time. I was 27, and I felt that I was a failure in the intimacy department. I was convinced I would probably never marry, and kids? Nope. No way.

One night that summer, I was driving home from an outdoor opera-in-the-park that I attended... alone. Some jerky guy in a Mercedes rear-ended me on the highway. I made him call the cops, although I was nice about the whole thing. (He, on the other hand, was a sneaky asshole.) His car was totaled, whereas my Jeep Cherokee's back bumper and tailgate were just a bit crumpled.

I watched as his wife came to the scene to pick him up. I realized then that I didn't have anyone to call. I drove the few blocks home to an empty house.


That year, for stupid reasons, I spent Thanksgiving alone. I ate cold spaghetti, for God's sake. I was a pathetic fool.

As I recount this ridiculous tale of woe, I am unable to even be alone to type it. I sit on Ian's bed, Batman pillow behind my back, patting his nightmare away. It's like Amanda said. This child sleeping next to me, the one who spills his milk daily, rips leather furniture, wakes up the finally napping baby, this child and his brothers, and their father, is the reason you cannot tell me God is dead.


My "where was I then?" tale does not come close to the gravity of Amanda's journey, or of her accomplishments. I do feel as though I've found my place in this world; that I am exactly where I'm meant to be. I hope it's so.

11 Comments:

Blogger LadyBug said...

God bless you, my friend.

That was beautiful.

I'm so glad you are where you're meant to be. Love and hugs to you, sweetie.

8:34 PM  
Blogger c said...

That was lovely. Really lovely.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Closet Metro said...

Very touching. Thanks for the reminder of hope.

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I left an almost-fiance in NYC when I was 27 and moved to Boston alone - where I knew 1 person. I was scared, but excited at the same time. That seems like a lifetime ago. I often joke to my friends that I've had about 15 lifetimes - different stages in my life - each one exciting and new. This latest stage (married and kids) is about the best. And, sometimes, worst. I'm sure it won't be the last.

-Carol

8:23 AM  
Blogger cakeboom said...

thanks, lb and misfit. dave, if i were not covered in nasty tissues, holding a cranky baby, and washing the goldened laundry results of potty training, i would send you some wookie poo.

carol, i think we should go backpacking across europe. come on!!

mrtl, you are right on about the low points. what doesn't kill us teaches us a damn good lesson.

momo, how wonderful it is to have made the right decision and then have a bit of divine intervention to reward that decision!

here's to hope.

5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My back pack is ready. My EuroRail pass has been purchased. Got a friend in London we can stay with. Name the date. : )

God, wouldn't that be a blast??!! Oooh, now you've got me thinking! : )

Have a great day! - Carol

8:48 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

A great exercise, to think about 10 years ago and where you were. Such a good way to remember that all things pass.

Love the batman pillow and your reasoning. Beautiful.

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was really nice to read. I'm glad to hear of your contentment, or your settled feeling.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Of course it's so; everything you put out, the spirit that comes thru when you write or comment, says you've found your place. Your babies' faces say that you've found your place. I am thankful to have learned in recent years that no matter how bleak things look, there are happy surprises ahead. Yes, there are sad ones too, but dammit, there are HAPPY ones, things and times and people that we don't even know yet, out there waiting for us. This was a lovely post.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Leska McCall said...

Truly lovely. It brings to mind my own low point/turning point....and all the wonderful and special things that have grown from it. Always a good thing to be content with where we are.

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » » »

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home