Tuesday, May 17, 2005

A Word About Friends.

fun
Friends are the floatation devices of life. The old ones (like my oldest friend, Sue) remind you of who you essentially are. After.. holy crap... TWENTY-NINE YEARS of knowing someone, let's face it: They know it all. And they still seem to like you anyway. Or they do a damn good job of pretending. But truly, it's nice to visit with your friend and, despite being tired and old, be able to go back to that old friendship, and come away feeling like a kid again.

Friendship has gems of memories that tend to pop up during the course of everyday life. These gems have the power to take you right back to being 13. I can hear a Led Zeppelin song, see an ugly hat in Kmart, stumble across a bag of Lily popcorn, read the word "crimson" (as in "crisis") and instantly be reminded of that time when we created and lived in our own world.

Friendships formed in adulthood have those powerful memory gems, too.
Whenever I see an amp of epinephrine, boom! I think of Marlena. The Body Shop? Jane. Snackwell cookies? Liz. She was my roommate, and I used to eat her food, and once I dropped her cordless phone in the toilet. (And yes, we are still friends; just saw her Monday).

Now, when I see ladybugs,I think of...who else?
Ladybug. She's quite an amazing woman, and I am honored to say she is my friend. Funny, kind, smart and caring,
she's the newest crown in the permanent collection.

So that's my little homage to friendship. Here's to good friends.

(I know. That beer commercial is going on in my head, too. Budweiser. Blech.)


Update: It has been brought to my attention that I have faulty beer advertisement memory. Hmm.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's to friends, yes.
Sue, Marlena, Jane, Liz... and of course the beloved LadyBug.

Here's to Colleen in NJ.

Smiles all around. Familiar, even if I've never seen them in real life.

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good friend is a rare find. And you, my friend, are a treasure.

I am so honored to be added to your "permanent collection."

Love and hugs,
Me

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are back Colleen. I missed posts like this. You have a big giagantic heart. Here's to friends!

7:18 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

Same as these fine ladies are saying. The "Lulu" in my post today has been my friend for nearly 30 years. Good friends, both old and new, are one of life's greatest blessings.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Spurious Nurse said...

YOur bloggy friends are all so happy you've returned! You're awesome!

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's not Budweiser you dumb ass! It's Lowenbrau. And I'm very pissed off you didn't mention you bestest friend. I'll remember that.

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Shit!! And I say that only b/c I am so touched. I have friends - really good GOOD friends that are 25+ years in the making. I love it that you do too.

But I also LOVE my online friends. They are so special because I think we all talk about stuff we wouldn't otherwise. A truer, deeper and quicker friendship. And hopefully a lasting one.

I love all my online girls.

Carol

8:24 PM  
Blogger Closet Metro said...

And when I see a broken slinky, you know who I think of. She has the technology to fix it!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Random and Odd said...

I see Ladybugs I think of LB too! I take pictures of them and send them to her! how geek is that?

I saw a 'jack' dog the other day and said, "HI JACK!" and thought of Metro.

I saw a pair of hooters the other day and I said, "Wow, looks like Spoons ta-tas" Hee hee.

Glad your posting again!

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm smiling. What a great post about friendship.

Knowing that we will be moving away from here at the end of the summer, I'm starting to be melancholy at the friends I will leave behind.

But my sadness is alleviated some by making new online friends.

11:22 AM  
Blogger cakeboom said...

Love to all you great bloggy friends. Your comments are like little presents... I get all happy seeing you visited and reading what you have to say, and I love peeking in and seeing what's up in your world.

Thank you !

Colleen

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home