Moderation
My mother-in-law told me the other night during dinner that she listens to news all day long. "I wake up at six, turn on Fox news, and turn it off around 11 when I go to bed. I keep the radio on in the kitchen. I can't stand a quiet house. I listen all day."
This CAN NOT be good for you. I listen to news, too, but I am an NPR junkie, so it's not just news, it's wacky programs on mummies; vegetable oil as fuel; interviews with guys who were in prison with Nelson Mandela and other interviews with authors and musicians, then at 7 pm, beautiful classical music for the rest of the night. Nice, quiet music. Although I love the pitter-patter of rapidly growing feet, I do love a quiet house, also.
I dated a guy years ago that had a phrase: having the world with you too much. I think it is important to keep up with current events, but I think it can be toxic when, say, it gets to the point when you are having dinner with your son and daughter-in-law in their home, and all you can talk about is some hideous murder of children.
That doesn't really make the salmon with lemon - thyme cream sauce sit well.

I don't mean to say we should all be naive and keep our rose-colored glasses on. But I do believe in balance, and appreciating man's inate benevolence, although not particularly newsworthy, is just as much part of reality as man's inhumanity to man.
I want to make it a point to see the good.
This CAN NOT be good for you. I listen to news, too, but I am an NPR junkie, so it's not just news, it's wacky programs on mummies; vegetable oil as fuel; interviews with guys who were in prison with Nelson Mandela and other interviews with authors and musicians, then at 7 pm, beautiful classical music for the rest of the night. Nice, quiet music. Although I love the pitter-patter of rapidly growing feet, I do love a quiet house, also.
I dated a guy years ago that had a phrase: having the world with you too much. I think it is important to keep up with current events, but I think it can be toxic when, say, it gets to the point when you are having dinner with your son and daughter-in-law in their home, and all you can talk about is some hideous murder of children.
That doesn't really make the salmon with lemon - thyme cream sauce sit well.

I don't mean to say we should all be naive and keep our rose-colored glasses on. But I do believe in balance, and appreciating man's inate benevolence, although not particularly newsworthy, is just as much part of reality as man's inhumanity to man.
I want to make it a point to see the good.

10 Comments:
That was lovely, my friend.
I just can't watch the news sometimes. I find myself gasping and cringing too much, and thinking, "HOW could someone DO something like that?" It's just too depressing.
If I want depressing, I'll balance my checkbook, thankyouverymuch.
Love and hugs,
LadyBug
Welcome Back!!
I guess I'm lucky, I live with the Weather lady.......explain to you some day. UB
That pic of the little one is fantastic. Thanks for the giggles. :D
Right on. I like that saying!
YOur MIL listens not just to news, but to FOX NEWS? Eesh. Watch out for that woman.
And I love the "I'm-a-victorious-scuba-diver" pic too.
Glad you're back, Mrs. Clobberiffic.
I'm so glad you're back. I love reading posts like this. Love seeing your pics of kids just having fun being kids.
Thanks for another smile. Really. Thank you.
Glad to see you're still here!!
And yes, watch out for your MIL...her brain is certainly poisoned from FAUX news.
:-)
You know, I wonder if people who can't stand the quiet are not comfortable with their own thoughts and meditations. Why can't they stand the quiet?
I can sympathize with how a quiet house can be overwhelmingly lonely... but I agree that peaceful music can be a happy medium. You can let your mind wander and process and dream.
And dreaming and having your mind wander can be inspiring.
I'll add to Danielle and mrtl's sentiments. I am a news/political/current events junkie myself, but I also meditate. Moderation and balance with your own thoughts and self without constant bombardment is very important. FOX News, in my opinion, is poison. It supplies its listeners with opinions thinly disguised as "facts" and never asks the audience to question or think about anything for themselves. Well, I guess, If everyone was a critical thinker, FOX would not even exist.
That's amazing- my 64 yr old mom does the same thing with FOX. Boo!
And (I'm not kidding), she has a framed portrait of President Bush on the fireplace mantle, with all the grandkids and stuff. But besides all that eccentric oddness, she's awesome!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home